How do I file a prior year tax return?
If you're looking to access a prior year return that you already completed, follow these instructions instead.
To file a 2015, 2014, or 2013 tax return, you'll need to use the TurboTax CD/Download software.
(TurboTax Online can only be used for your 2016 taxes. It handles the current year only.)
To file a 2012 or earlier return:
- You won't be able to use the TurboTax CD/Download software, which is available for the prior three tax years, back to 2013.
- One option is to file a paper return. You can start by visiting the IRS page for prior year forms and instructions.
To complete a prior year return for 2015, 2014 or 2013 using TurboTax CD/Download :
- Order the TurboTax CD/Download software for the specific year you want.
- If you need to file more than one prior year return, you'll need to order separate CD/Download software for each year.
- Install the software on your computer and prepare your year tax return as usual.
- You'll need to file a conventional paper return, as e-filing 2015 or older returns are no longer available in TurboTax. Follow the instructions in the software to print and mail your return.
If You Think You Will Owe Taxes and Need to File Your 2015, 2014 or 2013 Return
There is no deadline to file your return. However, you should file your return as soon as you can, even if you can't pay your tax bill right away. The late-filing penalty can be 10 times higher than the late-payment penalty, and the longer you wait, the worse it gets.
If You're Expecting a Refund and Need to File Your 2015, 2014 or 2013 Taxes
If you'r expecting a refund, you have 3 years from the original due date to paper-file your tax return. (You also get an extra 3 months if you originally filed an extension.)
If you miss this deadline, however, any refund you're owed will be forfeitted to the government.
Due Dates to Paper-file Prior Year Return - Expecting a Refund
|Tax Year||No Extension||With Extension|
|2015||April 15, 2019||October 15, 2019|
|2014||April 15, 2018||October 15, 2018|
|2013||(April 15, 2017)||October 15, 2017|