TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1292 people found this useful

What is a 1099-MISC?

Most commonly, you'll get Form 1099-MISC (Miscellaneous Income) for work you performed or services you provided as a non-employee. In this case, the 1099-MISC is to you what a W-2 would be to an employee.

You can also get a 1099-MISC for other kinds of income, like monetary prizes or awards, royalties, rent payments, and gross attorney proceeds, to name a few. As its name implies, it's used to report income that doesn't "fit" anywhere else.

Related Information: