How do I prepare a full-year resident state return?
If you were a resident of the same state all year and only had income in your resident state, you'll file a full-year resident state return.
Complete your federal return first. Be sure you've entered the correct state information in the Personal Info section. To confirm that state information, follow these steps:
- With your return open, select Personal Info.
- Click Edit next to your name.
- Select your resident state from the State of Residence drop-down
- Answer No at the line below (that you lived in another state)
- Select Continue to return to the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
- Repeat Steps 3-5 for your spouse, if needed.
After you finish your federal return, you'll automatically move to State Taxes, where you'll see your full-year resident state tax return listed.
Once you start your state return, we’ll guide you to make sure you prepare your return properly and get all the tax breaks you deserve. After you finish your return, follow the directions to file your return.