How do I prepare a full-year resident state return?
If you were a resident of the same state all year and only had income in your resident state, you'll file a full-year resident state return.
Complete your federal return first. Be sure you've entered the correct state information in the My Info section.
To confirm your state information, follow these steps:
- Sign in to TurboTax and select Take me to my return.
- Select My Info on the left-side menu.
- Click Edit next to your name.
- Select your resident state from the Tell us the state(s) you lived in drop-down
- Answer No at the line below (that you lived in another state)
- Select Continue to return to the Personal info summary screen.
- Repeat Steps 3–5 for your spouse, if needed.
After you finish your federal return, you'll automatically move to State Taxes, where you'll see your full-year resident state tax return listed.
Once you start your state return, we’ll guide you to make sure you prepare your return properly and get all the tax breaks you deserve. After you finish your return, follow the directions to file your return.