How to Find Files in Microsoft Windows
The exact steps may vary, depending on how you've customized your version of Windows. Use these as a general guideline.
- Navigate to the Start screen, Windows desktop, or any Metro-style app.
- Click or tap the Windows Logo key + F (or CTRL + ESC).
Windows 7 or Vista
- Click the Start button in the lower left corner of your screen.
- Enter your search term in the Search programs and files field.
- Click the Start button in the lower left corner of your screen, then click Search.
- Select All files and folders.
- Type the name of your item in the All or part of the file name field.
- At the Look in field, select the drive or folder to search. (To search your entire computer, select My Computer.)
- Select Search. The search results appear in the right pane.
If you can't find the file you're looking for, you might need to view hidden files and folders.