Do I include my child's income on my return?
You may be able to include your child's income on your tax return if they:
- are under age 19 (or was under age 24 and a full time student at the end of the tax year),
- are not filing a joint return,
- their only income was from interest and dividends, and
- they had no estimated taxes or tax withholding during the year in the child's name and SSN.
The total amount of the child’s income must be less than $10,000 for 2013, and they must not have had any taxes withheld or have made any estimated tax payments. More information is available at:
- IRS Tax topic 552 - Tax on a Child's Investment Income.
- IRS Pub 929, Tax Rules for Children and Dependents.