, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
Save time and effort by transferring last year's TurboTax return to TurboTax Online 2013.
If you successfully e-filed your return last year, we'll even transfer your verification info so you won't have to re-enter your PIN or AGI.
How to transfer your 2012 TurboTax Online return to TurboTax Online 2013
Transferring last year's return is simple – just sign in with the same login you used when you prepared last year's return. We'll do the rest! Forgot your login?
Why did only some items transfer over?
Most likely, you did not pay for (or register) last year's Online return.
Is there a way to NOT transfer last year's data?
Yes. In TurboTax Online, click Tools on the left side of your screen and select Clear your 2013 return and start over. Then click Yes.
How to transfer your TurboTax data file to TurboTax Online 2013
Tax data files (.tax files) can be transferred to TurboTax Online Basic and higher versions. They cannot be transferred to Free Edition.
- In TurboTax Online, on the left side of your screen, click Tools. (Don't see the side menu on the left? Click here for help.)
- In the pop-up window, select Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer.
- Make sure you read the warning about clearing your data, and then click Continue.
- Otherwise, click Cancel to abort the transfer.
- Browse to the location of your .tax2012 file and then select it. (If you're having problems locating it, click your operating system for help: Windows | Mac)
- Click Transfer Return and wait for your file to finish uploading.
- When you see Transfer Complete, click Continue to start working on your 2013 return.
- Move your 2013 Online return to the 2013 TurboTax CD/Download software
- Can I transfer last year's return from the PDF file?
- When transferring, what carries over to my 2013 return?
- What info doesn't transfer over to my 2013 return?
- Moving your SnapTax return to TurboTax Online