How do I transfer last year's return in TurboTax Online?
It's easy to transfer last year's return. Start by selecting your situation below.
If you used TurboTax Online last year and you're using TurboTax Online this year
Simple – just sign in with the same login you used for your 2015 TurboTax Online return and we'll transfer your info over.
- If you don’t see your return from last year, you’re in the wrong account. Use our account recovery tool to help jog your memory if you forgot your login or created multiple accounts and can't remember which one you used.
If you used the Federal Free Edition of TurboTax Online in 2015, you'll need to add PLUS this year so we can transfer your info over. To do this, sign in with the same login you used last year, and follow these instructions to add PLUS,
- If you follow the instructions and don’t see your return from last year (this step occurs prior to paying for PLUS), you're in the wrong account. Use our account recovery tool to help jog your memory if you forgot your login or created multiple accounts and can't remember which one you used.
You can transfer last year's tax data file (*.tax2015) if you're preparing your 2016 return in TurboTax Online Deluxe, Premier, or Self-Employed.
- You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a *.tax file.
- Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or continue a return you already started.
(To continue a return, sign in and then click the orange Take me to my return button.)
- Make sure you've gone past the blue "simple and accurate" screen before continuing to the next step.
- Select the My Account drop-down menu in the upper right, and then select Tools.
- In the pop-up window, select Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer.