, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
Any of the TurboTax individual versions (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business) can handle your return. See our Buyer's Guide to select the version that best fits your needs.
Even though you can use the CD/Download software or the Online version, we strongly recommend using the CD/Download software for RDP and civil union returns. Here's why:
- Save time and hassle. In the software, you won’t have to re-enter a lot of your info, but in TurboTax Online, you'd need re-enter information multiple times under several different User IDs.
- Save money. In TurboTax Online, you'd have to pay for the mock federal return (which you don't file) as well as multiple state returns.
Same-sex married couples: If you haven't filed your 2012 federal return yet, you must file as married (either jointly or separately) starting September 16, per the August 29 IRS announcement. You can use either the CD/Download or Online version of TurboTax to file your return(s).
- How do I prepare my return if I'm in a registered domestic partnership (RDP) or civil union?
- How much does TurboTax cost?
- How does the Supreme Court overturning of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) affect tax returns?
- TurboTax Online vs. TurboTax CD/Download Software