TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
177 people found this useful

How do I file an extension for a corporation, partnership, trust, or estate (Form 7004)?

IRS Form 7004 (Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File Certain Business Income Tax, Information, and Other Returns) gives you an automatic extension to file your corporation, S corporation, partnership, trust, or estate return.

However, extensions don't give you extra time to pay taxes.  Taxes are due on the original due date of the return, not including extensions.

Partnerships (1065 returns) and Trusts (1041 returns) get an automatic 5-Month Extension of time to file.

All other business returns, (1120, 1120S and 706 as an example) get an automatic 6-Month Extension of time to file.

Refer to the Instructions for Form 7004 for additional information.


  1. Open your return in TurboTax Business.
  2. In the upper right corner, search for extend and then select the Jump to extend link in the search results.
  3. On the Which Return Do You Need to File? screen, select Extension of time to file (Form 7004).
  4. Select Continue and follow the on-screen instructions to print your 7004 form, as this form cannot be e-filed.

We'll provide the address to mail your Form 7004 to, as well as payment instructions if you owe additional taxes.