TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
4211 people found this useful

Can I still e-file a 2016, 2015, or earlier tax return?

If you’re looking to access a previous return that you already filed (and not file a return for a previous year) follow these instructions.

It's too late to e-file a 2016, 2015 or earlier tax return if you're filing a personal (1040) return, which has an e-filing window from January to mid-October after the tax year ends.

For example, the 2016 tax year ended on December 31, 2016, so that means personal returns were "e-fileable" in TurboTax from January through mid-October of 2017.

2016 corporate (1120) and partnership (1065) returns are the only prior tax year/entities that can still be e-filed.

To File a 2016, 2015 or 2014 Return

You can still file a paper return from these years using TurboTax CD/Download for Windows or Mac. Simply purchase the software and install it on your computer. You’ll need to print and mail your return.
TurboTax CD/Download is available for the three years previous to the current tax year.
TurboTax Online is not available for prior-year tax returns.

To File a Return for 2013 or Earlier

You can still file a 2013 or earlier return. You’ll file a paper return, and you can start by visiting the IRS site for prior year forms. Here you can download all of the forms and instructions you need for the particular year you want to file.