How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?
IRS phone lines are typically very busy during the January - April filing season.
Before you wait on hold, try these IRS self-help options below, if you haven't already tried them:
- Validating Your Electronically Filed Tax Return
- Where's My Refund?
- Where's My Amended Return?
- Order a Transcript
- Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA) if you have a tax law question
- Make a Payment if you need to pay the IRS outside of TurboTax
- Report Suspected Tax Fraud
If you must call, make sure the IRS is the right agency handle your request. For telephone assistance, see IRS Telephone Assistance. Individuals can call 800-829-1040, Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 7:00 pm local time.