Find your tax data file (.tax file) in Windows
Here's how to find a tax data file (also called a .tax file) you created in the TurboTax CD/Download software for Windows, or a tax data file you downloaded and saved to your Windows computer from TurboTax Online.
Please note that the data file must be opened in the software to be readable and editable – it's not the same thing as a PDF copy of your return you can print out. More info
Also, e-filing does not keep copies of your return on our servers. We're unable to retrieve tax files prepared in the TurboTax CD/download software because the data is stored locally, on your computer.
- Simultaneously press the Windows+F keys (or go to your Desktop and press F3).
- Type *.tax2016 (replace 2016 with the appropriate tax-year return you're looking for).
- In the search results, copy down the tax file's location or path. By default, TurboTax saves tax files in the My Documents > TurboTax folder.
- Tip: Don't double-click the tax file in the search results to open it, as this may cause errors.
- After locating the path to the tax file on your computer, open your tax return using the same tax-year version of TurboTax (for example, open your 2016 return in the TurboTax 2016 program, not TurboTax 2017).
- Lost or misplaced your CD or download? Click here for replacement options.
If you can't find the data file, it may have been saved under a different Windows account. Try repeating the instructions in that account(s).