, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
Yes, you can file federal (IRS) returns with a foreign address. However, there are several restrictions regarding foreign-address returns:
- Due to IRS regulations, you will need a U.S. bank account to receive your tax refund.
- Similarly, you'll need a U.S. bank account or credit card with a U.S. billing address to pay owed taxes and product fees.
- TurboTax Refund Card and Refund Processing Services require a U.S. address or APO/FPO/DPO address.
- Free products which require registration in lieu of payment require a U.S. address or APO/FPO/DPO address.
At this time, you can also e-file Arizona, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Ohio, and Rhode Island tax returns using a foreign address. (States not mentioned either don't allow foreign-address e-filing or are not yet set up in TurboTax to do so.)
Entering your foreign address
When you get to the Where Do You Receive Your Mail? screen in TurboTax, select the Other radio button.
Then, select Foreign country. TurboTax will then open the correct address format for you.
What if my employer has a foreign address?
TurboTax also supports foreign addresses for employers when e-filing.
When you enter your W-2 information, select the Other radio button in the Employer's Name and Address area, and then select the type of address below it. TurboTax will open the correct address formatting for your selection.
- E-filing Questions and Answers
- How to e-file your personal (individual) tax return
- Filing a Paper Return by Mail