, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
Please watch the helpful video at the bottom of this page for step-by-step guidance.We also suggest you read and print the instructions below.
Once you've watched the video, please follow these steps to amend your federal and state return to make a change to the homebuyer credit section of TurboTax.
NOTE: Please don't be alarmed when your refund monitors drop to $0. The previous amounts were from your original return.
Now that you’re amending, the number was intentionally reset to $0. As you enter your amend information, your refund (or amount owed) will change to accurately reflect the refund (or balance due) on your amended return.
- Your federal and state refund monitors should each display $0. (Exception: For a few states, the amount in the Refund Monitor won’t reset to $0, but the monitor will eventually update as you enter your amend information.)
- You should now be on a screen that says Your 2010 Deductions & Credits Summary.
- Scroll down to Homebuyer Credit.
- Select Start or Update to the right of Homebuyer Credit.
- Whether you need to claim the credit, or make a repayment, this section should allow you to make your changes. Just follow the interview directions.
- Once you've made your changes, you will be brought back to this Deductions & Credits Summary screen.
- You might notice that the refund monitors no longer display zero.
- Once you have made all necessary changes in the federal, you can go through your state return.
Now amend your state return
In most situations, your state return will not be affected by the homebuyer credit, but it’s a good idea to go through it anyway.
- If you don’t file a state return, go directly to the Wrap Up tab.
- If you do file a state return, click the State Taxes, then select Continue.
- Go through the state interview and answer any appropriate questions.
- Continue through the State Review.
- When it says done with state, click Done with States.
Now you should be ready to finish amending your return.
- Once you've clicked on Done with States, you should be taken to the Wrap Up tab.
- You’ll go through one final error check to make sure your return is ready to file.
- If you get to screen that says, Let’s Check These Entries, click Check Entries.
- You could get a message telling you that amended returns can’t be e-filed. You’ll probably get the same message for your state return.
- Click Fix Errors.
- If these are the only “errors” you get, you can click the button that says Continue with Errors.
- Print your return.
- Click Done.
- The program will print all necessary forms and the addresses where you should mail them.
New! 3 weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking its progress at the newly-launched IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool.