Retrieve a Tax File from a Portable Device
This article describes how to retrieve your tax return data file from a flash drive or other portable device.
If you're looking to access a TurboTax Online return from our server, click here instead.
If your return is stored on a flash drive, always copy it to your hard drive first, and then open the copy. This helps prevent data corruption.
Close TurboTax and then:
- Connect the portable device to your computer.
- Browse to the portable device, right-click the tax file you want and choose Copy.
- Navigate to the location of your choice, preferably someplace easy to find like the Desktop or your Documents, right-click the destination and select Paste.
- After your computer finishes copying the file, disconnect or eject the portable device from your computer.
- Open TurboTax, and then open your tax return file copy.