TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
183 people found this useful

Are items I purchased for my classroom tax deductible?

If you qualify as an eligible educator you can deduct up to $250 of qualified expenses ($500 if married filing jointly and you both qualify) in calculating adjusted gross income (AGI).

An eligible educator is a kindergarten through grade 12 teacher, instructor, counselor, principal or aide in school for at least 900 hours during a school year.

Any qualified amounts over $250 can be an itemized deduction to the extent that it exceeds 2% of your adjusted gross income.

Qualified expenses include ordinary and necessary expenses paid in connection with books, supplies, equipment (including computer equipment, software and services), and other materials used in the classroom.

An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your educational field.  A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your profession as an educator.

IAS10153