Can I file my IRS extension online?
Yes, with TurboTax Easy Extension. It's the fast, easy, free way to e-file your federal tax extension.
Anyone with a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address can use Easy Extension – even if you don't use TurboTax.
Your extension needs to be e-filed by April 15; rejected extensions will need to either be resubmitted or postmarked by April 20.
Once your e-filed extension has been accepted, you'll have until October 15, 2015 to either e-file or mail your return to the IRS.
Important: Filing an extension does not give you additional time to pay owed taxes, which are due April 15 (or June 15 for taxpayers out of the country). If you can't pay owed tax by the deadline, always file an extension so you can at least avoid the late-filing penalty, which is up to 10 times higher than the late-payment penalty. Learn more about filing an extension.
- How do I request an extension for my state if I used TurboTax Easy Extension?
- How do I print my 4868 extension form after e-filing it?
- Can I pay my taxes when I file my extension with TurboTax Easy Extension?
- Can I make installment payments through TurboTax Easy Extension?
- What if I can't pay my taxes?
- How do I finish up in TurboTax after filing an extension?