TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
3565 people found this useful

What if I can't pay my taxes?

The first thing you should do if you can't pay is to actually file your tax return by April 18, 2016. You can file your taxes without paying. If you file by the deadline, you will avoid paying a penalty for sending it late.

Pay as much as you can by April 18. Decide how much you can afford, and send it to the IRS. The penalty for not paying taxes depends on how much you owe. The more you pay now, the lower the penalty will be. If you're using TurboTax, make a partial payment by selecting I will mail a check in the File section. If you choose to pay by credit card, TurboTax will charge the total tax due.

Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and your state tax office to figure out the best way to pay the rest of your tax. If you already filed, the IRS might give you a couple extra months to pay or offer an installment plan.

Different ways to apply for an IRS installment plan

Related Information:

HOW12014