TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
11202 people found this useful

What if I can't pay my taxes?

We're in your corner to help you navigate your taxes this year. Here are the steps you can take now to improve your situation.

1. File your taxes by April 18
You are allowed to file your taxes without paying the tax you owe. If you send your tax return on time, you will avoid paying extra forĀ filing late.

2. Pay some of the tax you owe
If you can afford to pay some, send it by April 18. The penalty for not paying your taxes depends on the total tax you owe. If you pay some now, the penalty will be smaller later.

You can make a partial payment with TurboTax. In the File section, select I will mail a check. If you choose to pay with your bank account or credit card, TurboTax will charge the total tax due.

3. Call the IRS and your state tax office
They will work with you to plan how to pay the rest of your tax. If you file your taxes before you call, the IRS might give you extra time or offer an installment plan.

Different ways to apply for an IRS installment plan

HOW12014