How do I make estimated tax payments?
If you’re at risk for an underpayment penalty next year, we'll automatically calculate quarterly estimated tax payments and prepare vouchers (Form 1040-ES) for you to print. Mail your payment along with the corresponding 1040-ES voucher to the IRS address listed on the voucher. Quarterly payment due dates are printed on each voucher.
Additional estimated tax payment options available at the IRS Payment website:
- IRS Direct Pay from your checking or savings account
- Pay online or by phone using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
- Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW), only available during e-filing
- Same-day wire transfer from your bank
- Cash payment at a retail partner
You also have the option at the time you file your return to apply some or all of your refund amount to your estimated tax payments for the coming tax year.