Error 6786445: "Certificate Authority is invalid or incorrect..." When E-filing
This situation occurs when you're attempting to e-file your return and you get the following error message:
Error code 6786445: Certificate Authority is invalid or incorrect. The transmission was unsuccessful. Please try again later.
This can happen if the date on your computer is set incorrectly. You can also get this error if your Trusted Root Certificate is corrupted and can't validate a secure connection with TurboTax.
First, check your system date. If it's correct and you're accessing your tax return from a CD or flash drive (not your hard drive), your return might have taken on an incorrect date from the previous computer. Try copying it to your hard drive and then open the copy of the return.
Should the problem persist:
- Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and select Custom to install the latest software updates.
- At the Pick updates to install screen, select the Review and install updates link.
- Make sure the update list includes Update Trusted Root Certificates (or something similar to this), and then select the Install Now button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, including restarting your computer.
- Restart TurboTax and try e-filing again.
If Problems Persist
If you are still unable to e-file or if you experience problems with the instructions above, another option is to uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer.
For instructions, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article Information About How to Reinstall Internet Explorer (Article ID 258893).