What if it's April and I'm still waiting on a tax form?
If it's getting down to the wire and you're still waiting on a tax form from your employer, mortgage company, broker (etc.), you have 2 choices:
- File an extension by April 18, 2016.
- This gives you until October 17, 2016 to file your return.
- However, if you owe taxes, those will need to be paid by April 18, 2016 to avoid the late-payment penalty.
- File your return by April 18, 2016 using your best "guesstimate" on the amounts in the missing form and (possibly) file an amended return later.
- You'll only need to amend if the info on the missing form causes your refund or tax due amount to change from what you originally filed.
- You have 3 years from the date you filed your return (or 2 years from the date you paid owed taxes, whichever comes later) to amend.
On the other hand, if you're still waiting for a final form in TurboTax, update your program. With a few rare exceptions, our forms are all finalized in January and February.