Troubleshoot E-filing Transmission Issues
An e-file transmission issue is when your return doesn't go through after clicking Transmit Returns Now. It's a technical problem with your computer or internet connection.
- If you didn't click Transmit Returns Now, you don't have a transmission issue. Rather, your return cannot be e-filed for another reason. TurboTax will let you know why.
- If the status of your return is pending or rejected, you don't have a transmission issue either because your return made it to our Electronic Filing Center and/or the IRS/state agency.
For true transmission issues, refer to the appropriate section below.
It's best to e-file over a wired broadband connection, if one is available.
If that's not an option, open a new browser tab or window and try visiting a site you haven't visited before.
- If you can't access the other site, try restarting your wireless router.
- If that didn't help, turn off your computer, your router, and your modem, in that order. After a minute, turn your modem back on. Wait another minute, then turn on your router, and finally your computer.
Try resetting your modem (and router, if you have one). This often resolves problems where the program locks up or "freezes" during e-filing.
- Shut down your computer and any other devices connected to your modem.
- Unplug or turn off your modem (and router, if you have one).
- Wait 15-30 seconds so that the hardware has time to completely cycle down.
- Plug in or turn on the modem first. Allow the lights to turn on until the "ready" or "online" light is flickering - your hardware may vary.
- Once the modem is ready, plug in or turn on your router if you have one. Again, wait until the lights indicate that it is powered up, detected the network, and that it is in a "ready" status.
- Restart your computer, reopen TurboTax, and try e-filing again.
If the troubleshooting steps above didn't help, systematically follow these steps in the order given:
- Scroll down to Related Information below to see if your error is listed.
- Check your internet connection and home router connection. Are you able to visit other sites?
- Try e-filing during off hours, such as early in the morning. Peak e-filing periods (evening hours in mid- to late January and again in mid-April) sometimes contribute to transmission errors.
- TurboTax Online:
- If you're using an older browser, update it to the latest version, or try signing in and e-filing with a different browser.
- Delete your cookies.
- TurboTax Software:
- Close all programs except TurboTax, including virus protection, download accelerators, and any other programs running in the background.
- (Windows-only) E-file your return in Selective Startup Mode (this only helps when e-filing over a wired broadband connection).