Error 401: "The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized"
The following message occurs when attempting to update TurboTax:
Error 401: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized
A defect in Microsoft .NET causes a communication error between TurboTax and the update server.
- Go to the Windows Update site www.windowsupdate.com and check for updates.
- Download and install this update:
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .Net Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847)
- Restart your computer if prompted to do so.
- Reopen TurboTax and try updating again.
- If the error persists, download and install a manual update.