Where is Schedule D?
When you sell a capital asset (investments, collectibles, stocks, nonrental real estate, etc.), the gain or loss is reported on Schedule D (Capital Gains and Losses).
We'll automatically fill out Schedule D (along with Form 8949 if you sold stock) when you report 1099-Bs and other capital asset sales.
Here's how to generate Schedule D:
- Open (continue) your return if it's not already open.
- In TurboTax, search for schedule d and then click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
- Answer Yes to Did you sell any investments in 2016?
- If you're in Free Edition or Online Deluxe, follow the instructions to upgrade to Premier.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your capital asset sale(s).
Schedule D is included in TurboTax Premier and Self-Employed (online and mobile app) and in all personal (1040) CD/Download software versions of TurboTax.