TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1 person found this useful

Federal 2011: Child Tax Credit

Note: If you received IRS Letter 4676C please use this article for additional information and options on how we can assist you.


On a federal tax return, taxpayers may be able to deduct a minor dependent and receive related credits.

Certain customers, who reported having a qualified minor dependent who lived with them for less than seven months, may have filed an incorrect tax return.

TurboTax has fixed this issue.

How to Tell if You May Be Impacted

 You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:

  • You filed a 2011 federal tax return before February 23, 2012 AND
  • Your return included a dependent who was born prior to 2011 AND
  • That dependent lived with you for less than seven months during tax year 2011 AND
  • Your federal Form 1040 has an amount on Line 51 (Child Tax Credit) and/or Line 65 (Additional Child Tax Credit) OR
  • Your federal Form 1040A has an amount on Line 33 (Child Tax Credit) and/or Line 39 (Additional Child Tax Credit) 

If you are affected, you may have incorrectly received a child tax credit, and may have underpaid your federal tax. You will need to amend your federal tax return and possibly your state return as well.

To view a copy of the email that was sent in March click here.

You can make the corrections yourself.

  • To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions.
  • After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of:
    • Your federal return to the IRS and
    • Your state return to your state tax authority (if your state return is affected)
  • Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.

Or let us do the work for you.

  • Please download and print this Authorization Form.
  • Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
  • A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 15 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
  • You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the Internal Revenue Service AND if required, your state tax authority.