Error 500: Internal Server Error
Error 500 can occur when updating TurboTax or when trying to make updates to your TurboTax Advantage account.
Select your situation below for next steps.
When attempting to update from inside TurboTax, Error 500 may occur if:
- There is interference from a dial-up accelerator; or
- Your computer's firewall is blocking your connection to our update server; or
- Our update server is experiencing heavy traffic or other temporary problems.
To work around this issue, you can download a manual update or try updating again later.
If Error 500 continues to be a problem when downloading future updates, click here and follow the steps to make sure your Internet connection is working properly.
Older TurboTax Advantage accounts may return Error 500 after signing in. These older accounts were created before we implemented new, more stringent security measures when setting up accounts.
To fix this, all you need to do is add a Security Question to your TurboTax Advantage account:
- When you get Error 500, click your browser's Back button to return to the previous screen.
- Click Update Your Account.
- Select a Security Question from the drop-down menu and enter its answer.
- Click Save Changes.