Error 1935: An error occurred during the installation of assembly
Error 1935: An error occurred during the installation of assembly appears when installing or updating TurboTax 2009 or 2010.
Error 1935 is a generic error with a multitude of different causes: file sharing violations, file permission problems, or registry errors related to Microsoft .NET.
Because there is no single root cause for Error 1935, there is no single solution that will work in all cases. You may need to try several different solutions before you find the one that works for your system.
Before You Begin
Because you'll be restarting your computer at least once, it's best to have all your "tools" ready before you proceed to the Solutions section below.
- Click here to download the Error 1935 Repair Tool and save the file to your desktop.
- Download the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool from Aaron Stebner's WebLog. (Don't worry – Mr. Stebner is a .NET expert and works for Microsoft.) Save this file to your desktop also.
- Download the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool, also from Aaron Stebner, and save it to your desktop.
- Go to knowledgebase article Start Windows in Selective Startup Mode and print the instructions.
- Finally, print this article so you can check off each step as you complete it. (You may also want to bookmark this article for easy retrieval.)
Ready? Proceed to the Solutions section below.
Solution 1 – Run the Error 1935 Repair Tool first
- Start Windows in Selective Startup Mode by following the instructions you printed in Step 4 above.
- Make sure all programs are closed, then double-click the Fix1935.zip file you downloaded to your desktop.
- Now double-click (or extract) the 1935fix.exe file to run the repair tool.
Note: If you get The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect when running the repair tool, download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable 32-bit version (from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=A7B7A05E-6DE6-4D3A-A423-37BF0912DB84) or 64-bit version (from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=BD512D9E-43C8-4655-81BF-9350143D5867).
- When finished, restart your computer, then try updating or installing TurboTax again.
- If the problem persists, proceed to Solution 2.
Solution 2 – Run the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool
- Go to your desktop and double-click (or extract) the file netfx_setupverifier_new.zip.
- Select the version of .NET to verify from the Product to Verify drop-down box and click Verify Now.
Note: Verify each and every version of .NET 2.0, .NET 3.0 and .NET 3.5 that is listed in the Product to Verify drop-down box. Most systems have at least 3 versions listed. You must verify EACH one.
- Once verification is complete, the Current Status line should read Product verification succeeded.
If not, make a note of which version(s) failed. That version(s) will need to be repaired (click here for repair instructions) or uninstalled and reinstalled (click here for uninstall/reinstall instructions).
- When finished, try updating or installing TurboTax again.
- If the problem persists, proceed to Solution 3.
Solution 3 – Run the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool
- Go to your desktop and double-click (or extract) the file dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip. This will remove .NET from your computer.
- Return to normal Windows mode (refer to the last sentences on the printed article Start Windows in Selective Startup Mode for instructions).
- Update or install TurboTax again.