Error 1324: "Invalid character"
Error 1324: Invalid character can occur when installing TurboTax.
It's caused by forbidden characters in the name of the installation folder, or by a registry key containing an invalid character in a data field.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps in the order given:
- Look for forbidden characters (*, &, %, etc.) in the TurboTax installation folder's name:
- Search for the file TurboTax 20XX Installer.exe (replace 20XX with the 4-digit tax year).
- Take note of the name of the folder the installer.exe is in and examine the path to the file in the In Folder column. Aside from backslashes (\) to separate folder names, there should only be letters, numbers, or spaces.
- If the folder name is invalid, rename it by browsing or searching for it. Then right-click the folder, choose Rename, and enter a valid folder name. When finished, install TurboTax.
- If the folder name is valid, follow the steps in this Microsoft Support article: Error 1327: Invalid Drive (the solution also applies to Error 1324). When finished, install TurboTax.