TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
316 people found this useful

How do I file Form 8938, Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets?

To get to the 8938 section in TurboTax (requires Deluxe or higher):

  1. Open (continue) your return if you're not already in it.
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. Search for "8938" inside your program and click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. On the Foreign Financial Assets screen, select Yes, I have foreign financial assets, answer "yes" or "no" to living in a foreign country, and click Continue.
  4. Carefully follow the onscreen instructions and we'll fill out Form 8938 for you.

Tip: Foreign real estate is not considered a foreign financial asset, nor are foreign investments (if owned through a U.S. brokerage or listed on a U.S. exchange) or money in a foreign branch of a U.S. bank. Hence, Form 8938 isn't required in these situations.