TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1010 people found this useful

Can I use my last paystub if I don't have my W-2 yet?

Employers are required to mail out W-2s by January 31.

Ironically, trying to get a jump on your refund with your paystub can actually delay your refund.

For starters, your year-end paystub may not contain everything you need to file an accurate return, which can cause (among other things) e-filing rejections, IRS notices, and additional processing time for your refund.

And if your W-2 differs from what you originally entered from your paystub, you'll likely need to amend, which most people would rather not do.

The only time you're allowed to use your last paystub to file is if you haven't received your W-2 by February 15 and efforts to obtain your W-2 from your employer have failed. In this case, file a Form 4852: Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement with your return. More info

Related Information: