TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1007 people found this useful

Can I file my return using my last pay stub instead of waiting for my W-2?

We know you want your tax refund now. However, tax experts advise against filing before you receive or are able to import your W-2.

Ironically, getting a jump on your refund by using your paystub instead of your W-2 can actually delay your refund.

For starters, your year-end paystub may not contain everything you need to file an accurate return, which can cause unwanted attention from the IRS plus extra processing time for your refund.

And if your W-2 differs from what you originally entered from your paystub, you'll need to amend, which most people would rather not do.

The only time you're allowed to use your last paystub to file is if you haven't received your W-2 by February 15 and efforts to obtain your W-2 from your employer have failed. In this case, you'll file a Form 4852: Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement with your return. More info

Related Information:

GEN83875