TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ

2012 Michigan City: IRA Deduction

In general if you make an IRA contribution, you may get a deduction on your federal, state and certain city tax returns.

Certain customers, who filed as a Michigan city non-resident during 2012 and had an IRA deduction, may have filed an incorrect tax return.

How to tell if you may be impacted

You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:

  • You filed a 2012 Michigan city income tax return (Form CF-1040) prior to February 20, 2013 AND
  • You were a non-resident of one of the following cities: Albion, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, Flint, Grand Rapids, Grayling, Hamtramck, Highland Park, Ionia, Jackson, Lansing, Lapeer, Muskegon, Muskegon Heights, Pontiac, Portland, Saginaw, Springfield, and Walker AND
  • There is an amount on the IRA Deduction line of your federal return (Form 1040, Line 32 or Form 1040A, Line 17) AND
  • Line 10 of your Michigan City IRA Deduction Worksheet, Page 2 is blank.

If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your Michigan tax return.

To amend your return:

  • Follow these step-by-step instructions.
  • After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
  • Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
  • If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email.

If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2012 Michigan City: IRA Deduction.