Error Code -36 installing TurboTax for Mac
Error code -36 is a generic Macintosh read/write error that typically appears when attempting to install programs, including TurboTax for Mac.
It can occur if your computer is unable to read the files from the TurboTax CD, or if those files cannot be fully written (copied) to your hard drive because of hard drive issues.
We recommend running your Mac Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility) to check for hard drive problems first.
If you're installing from a download, make sure your operating system is fully up-to-date and that you have sufficient free disk space, at least 20% more than the minimum required. To check your current hard drive usage, you can do the following:
- From the Apple menu, found at the very top-left of your screen, choose About This Mac.
- Click the More Info... button toward the bottom of the window.
- At the top of the next window, click the Storage tab.
If installing from a CD, make sure it is clean and smudge-free:
- Using plain water and a lint-free cloth, carefully wipe the CD from the center straight to the edge; never use a circular motion.
- Let the CD dry completely, then try installing again.