TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
89 people found this useful

How do I amend a separate return to Married Filing Jointly?

If both of you already filed your returns with the Married Filing Separately status, you only need to amend one return; the other will be disregarded when the IRS receives your amendment.

We suggest amending the most complex of the two returns to minimize data entry, but it's up to you to decide which one to amend.

If the other return (the one not being amended) either had a refund or additional taxes were paid, you'll need to amend in the CD/Download version so you can enter some adjustments in Forms mode.


  1. Follow the directions for the tax year you wish to amend to begin the amendment process.
  2. Select My Info (Personal Info if you're using CD/Download) and proceed to the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
  3. Scroll down to Your Filing Status and select the corresponding Edit button.
  4. Check the Change my filing status checkbox, choose Married filing jointly, and select Continue.
  5. Keep following any onscreen instructions until you return to the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
  6. Select the Edit button next to your spouse's name and enter any missing information (date of birth, occupation, etc.)
  7. Proceed through the TurboTax interview to add any items belonging to your spouse – for example, his or her W-2 and 1099 forms, medical deductions, and so forth.
  8. Before you get to the File section, do this if the other return (the one you're not amending) either got a refund or additional taxes were paid:
    1. Switch to Forms mode. WindowsMac
    2. Open the Original Return Payment Smart Worksheet (if taxes were paid) or the Original Return Overpayment Smart Worksheet (if the other return got a refund).
    3. Enter the refund or taxes paid on the corresponding worksheet, then switch back to Interview mode and continue.
  9. When you get to the File section, follow the onscreen instructions to print and mail your amended return. Amended returns cannot be e-filed.