E-file rejection error R0000-500-01: Primary taxpayer's Social Security number or name doesn't match
How to fix an e-filed return that was rejected with error R0000-500-01: The primary taxpayer's Social Security number and last name does not match the IRS's records. The IRS receives this information from the Social Security Administration.
This rejection occurs when the last name or Social Security number for the primary taxpayer (the first person listed on the return) is either incorrect or doesn't match what's on file with the IRS.
Try This First (Recommended)
- Open your return in TurboTax and click Personal Info.
- Proceed to the Your Personal Info summary screen and make sure that the Name and Social Security number for the first person on the return exactly matches the information on the Social Security card.
- If the information is correct, proceed to Step 3.
- Otherwise, click the Edit button, make the correction(s), and continue until you're back on the Your Personal Info summary screen. Then, e-file your return again.
- Call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify the primary taxpayer's Social Security number, date of birth, and name.
- If it differs from what you entered, change the information in TurboTax to reflect the SSA's information and then re-file your return.
- Otherwise, if you verified that your information is correct, proceed to Other Options, below.
At this point, you'll need to file a paper return. The IRS e-file servers will continue rejecting your return because your data, though correct, doesn't match what they have on file.
- Regrettably, we are unable to assist you further, as the problem lies with government agencies' data that we have no control over.
- After mailing your return, we suggest you follow up with the IRS and request that they correct their records so you can e-file next year.