, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
TurboTax for iPad supports file sharing through iTunes. You can start your tax return in TurboTax Online then save it to your computer because you want to finish your return in TurboTax for iPad.
Here's how to easily move your 2013 tax return from TurboTax Online to TurboTax for iPad.
- Step #1 - Download your tax return file from TurboTax Online
- Step #2 - Move your tax return file to TurboTax for iPad
Note: TurboTax for iPad 2013 does not support transferring data from 2009 and earlier tax returns. 2010 was the first year for TurboTax for iPad.
To move your tax return on your iPad or your computer, you need:
- iPad with the following installed app:
- TurboTax for iPad 2013 running iOS 4.3
- USB cable to connect your iPad to your computer
- Desktop computer with the following installed software:
- iTunes 10.1.1 or later (to support TurboTax for iPad file sharing)
- Mac OS 10.6.8 or later
- TurboTax 2012 - CD/Download for Mac
- Windows XP, Vista or 7
- TurboTax 2012 - CD/Download for Windows
Note: Your tax return can only be viewed within TurboTax after you copy your tax file to the desired application.
- Click here to sign in to your TurboTax Online account.
- Click the link Save your 2013 return to your computer, located in the lower left corner of your screen.
- Click Save File and OK.
- Import your saved tax file into TurboTax for iPad by syncing with iTunes.
Important: About Moving Your Tax Return File to TurboTax for iPad
- Once you move your return to your iPad, any edits you make will only reside on your iPad.
- Moving should be done before you begin entering tax info on your iPad. If you have already started an iPad return, you will not be able to transfer your downloaded info into the same iPad return.
On your Computer
- Connect your iPad to your computer with the USB cable.
- On your computer, launch iTunes to sync.
- In iTunes, under Devices (left-hand menu), select your iPad.
- Click on the Apps button.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the File Sharing window.
- In the Apps column, click on TurboTax 2013.
- Under TurboTax 2013 Documents, click Add.
- On your computer, browse to the location for your tax file and click Choose.
- After you add the file, click the iTunes > Sync button.
On your iPad
- In TurboTax for iPad, tap the Import icon.
- Tap Copy from iTunes.
- In the list, tap the tax return file you wish to import.
Your tax return is now transferred to your iPad and you can now open it in TurboTax for iPad.