, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
Although we don't charge for TurboTax Free Edition, you'll encounter additional fees if you select add-ons or upgrades.
What may have caused my Free Edition return to go from "free" to "fee"?
You'll be charged an additional fee if you:
- Upgraded to TurboTax Basic or higher, either because your tax situation requires forms not included in Free Edition, or because you chose to take advantage of the extra benefits offered in our higher-end products.
- TurboTax Free Edition is for taxpayers with very simple returns (Form 1040-EZ) – in other words, taxpayers who don't need help or guidance while preparing their simple tax returns.
- Prepared a state return. Free Edition is a free solution for your federal taxes. There is an additional fee to prepare your state tax return.
- Selected an add-on service, such as Audit Defense or our Refund Processing Service.
Can I find out what the extra fees are for?
You sure can. To review your TurboTax Online fees before you pay:
- Sign in to TurboTax Online.
- Click Tools on the left side of your screen. (Don't see the side menu on the left? Click here for help.)
- In the popup, click the "shopping cart" icon (My Fees) to see the breakdown of your TurboTax fees. Except for upgrade fees, you can remove any items you haven't yet paid for or used.
If you're unable to remove an unused item, please contact us for assistance.
- Can I switch back or downgrade to a lower-priced version of TurboTax Online?
- How to clear or delete your State tax return
- How to remove Audit Defense Services in TurboTax Online
- How to Remove Refund Processing Services Before E-Filing
- What is TurboTax Freedom Edition?