, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
You may notice a dependent you claimed last year doesn't qualify as your dependent this year. That could be because this person doesn't meet the IRS criteria to be claimed for 2013. We've made it easier to determine who you can claim as a dependent by asking you simple questions about who counts as your dependent to ensure they meet the IRS "tests" for qualifying.
Your filing status in TurboTax
If you expected to qualify and don’t see this, go through the interview again to be sure you answered the questions correctly. Also see more about qualifying for the Head of Household Filing Status in IRS Publication 501 – Exemptions, Standard Deductions, and Filing Information.
If you see Head of Household and think it may be in error, go through the interview again to be sure you answered the questions correctly.
How to review your filing status questions
If you've already gone through the TurboTax step-by-step interview and want to jump directly to the entry screens for filing status, follow these steps:
- Select Personal Info
In Online TurboTax, click the bars at the upper left corner to show Personal Info on the selection list; enlarge the screen if needed to show the left side selection list.
- On the Getting Started with TurboTax screen (Desktop TurboTax products) or Personal Info (Online TurboTax products) screen, click Continue.
- Scroll down the Your Personal Info Summary screen to the Your Filing Status line.
- Click the Edit button next to Your Filing Status.
- On the Review Your Filing Status screen, check the Change my filing status button.
- A drop down shows several options; select the filing status you qualify for and follow the prompts.
If you've answered the questions and still don't see the Head of Household for your filing status, then you or your dependent do not qualify under the new IRS rules. See IRS Publication 501 for more information about qualifying rules.