Error 407: "Proxy authentication required"
The message Proxy authentication required (error 407) occurs when attempting to connect to the Internet through TurboTax, for example when checking for updates.
Your Internet connection's setup may require you to log in through a proxy server.
Proxy servers are computers or applications that serve as intermediaries between network users and the Internet.
Try these solutions, in the order listed:
- Go to the Windows Update site www.windowsupdate.com and check for updates.
- Download and install this update:
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .Net Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847)
- Restart your computer if prompted to do so.
- Reopen TurboTax and try updating again.
Follow these steps and try updating after each step is completed:
- Be sure your Internet connection is working properly.
- Contact your system administrator and check to see if proxy authentication is set up correctly for your computer. When prompted, enter the user name and password as indicated by your system administrator.
- Retry updating by using Check for Updates on the Online menu in TurboTax.
- If updating fails, wait and try again later or download a manual update.