Error 42016: Unexpected content received
Error 42016: Unexpected content received may appear when updating.
(Older versions of TurboTax may display the message An exception of unknown type has occurred in conjunction with this error.)
- Certain Windows registry keys have been deleted by another program.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is missing required software updates.
- Your computer's Internet connection or router may be configured incorrectly.
- Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may be experiencing a technical problem.
- The Intuit Update Server may be experiencing a technical problem.
Important: There is a remote chance that the solution steps may corrupt or lose your tax data file. Before proceeding, back up your tax data file as a precaution (preferably to a removable device, such as a thumb drive).
Then, follow these steps to resolve the issue:
- Click here and run the Microsoft Fix it 50356 tool.
- When finished, try updating again by choosing Check for Updates from the Online menu in TurboTax.
If error 42016 persists:
- Install the latest updates for Windows. Make sure you include:
- The latest security updates; and
- The latest Microsoft .NET Framework 4 updates.
- Be sure your Internet connection is working properly.
- Retry updating by clicking Check for Updates in the Online menu in TurboTax.
- If updating fails, wait and try again later, or download a manual update instead.