Error 42016: Unexpected content received
Important: There is a remote chance that the solution steps may corrupt or lose your tax data file. Before proceeding, back up your tax data file as a precaution (preferably to a removable device, such as a thumb drive).
Then, follow these steps to resolve the issue:
- Click here to check Microsoft Easy Fix.
- When finished, try updating again by choosing Check for Updates from the Online menu in TurboTax.
If error 42016 persists:
- Install the latest updates for Windows. Make sure you include:
- The latest security updates; and
- The latest Microsoft .NET Framework 4 updates.
- Be sure your Internet connection is working properly.
- Retry updating by clicking Check for Updates in the Online menu in TurboTax.
- If updating fails, wait and try again later, or download a manual update instead.