, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
Please watch the helpful video below for step-by-step guidance.
Once you've watched the video, please follow these steps to amend your federal and state returns to make a change to the 1099-MISC section of TurboTax.
NOTE: Please don't be alarmed when your refund monitors drop to $0. The previous amounts were from your original return.
Now that you’re amending, the number was intentionally reset to $0. As you enter your amend information, your refund (or amount owed) will change to accurately reflect the refund (or balance due) on your amended return.
- Your federal and state refund monitors should each display $0. (Exception: For a few states, the amount in the Refund Monitor won’t reset to $0, but the monitor will eventually update as you enter your amend information.)
- You should now be on a screen that says Your 2010 (or 2011) Income Summary.
- You can also get there by clicking the Federal Taxes Tab (or Personal Taxes if using the Home and Business product), then the click on the Wages & Income sub tab.
- Scroll down to Other Common Income.
- Select Start or Update to the right of Income From Form 1099-MISC.
- Enter the necessary information from the 1099-MISC form you received, such as who paid you, the employer’s ID or payer’s Social Security number, and how much if any federal and state taxes were withheld.
- You can also edit or delete a 1099-MISC form you've already entered.
- Once you've made your changes, you might notice that the refund monitors no longer display zero.
- If you don’t have another 1099 to add or edit, select Done.
Now amend your state return
- Even if it appears this change won’t affect your state taxes, you should go through the state return and answer any appropriate questions.
- If you don’t file a state return, go directly to the Wrap Up tab.
- If you do file a state return, click the State Taxes, then select Continue.
- Go through the state inter review and answer any appropriate questions.
- Run State Review again.
- Click Done with states.
Now you should be ready to finish amending your return.
- Once you've clicked on Done with States, you should be taken to the Wrap Up tab.
- You’ll go through one final error check to make sure your return is ready to file.
- If you get to screen that says, Let’s Check These Entries, click Check Entries.
- You could get a message telling you that amended returns can’t be e-filed. You’ll probably get the same message for your state return.
- If these are the only “errors” you get, you can click the button that says Continue with Errors.
- Print your return.
- Click Done.
- The program will print all necessary forms and the addresses where you should mail them.