E-file rejection error IND-515: The primary SSN must not equal the primary SSN in another return
How to fix an e-filed return that was rejected with error IND-515: The Primary SSN in the Return must not be equal to the Primary SSN in another return filed for the same tax year.
This error can occur if somebody else filed a return using the Social Security number for the first taxpayer listed on the return (the primary taxpayer).
It can also happen when the Social Security number has been entered incorrectly.
- Open your return in TurboTax and click Personal Info.
- Proceed to the Your Personal Info Summary screen and make sure that:
- You didn't accidentally enter the same Social Security number for yourself and your spouse; and
- All Social Security numbers on the return exactly match the number(s) on the corresponding Social Security card(s).
- If all information is correct, proceed to Next Steps below.
- Otherwise, click the Edit button, make the correction(s), and continue until you're back on the Your Personal Info Summary screen. Then, e-file your return again.
It's likely that another taxpayer, inadvertently or otherwise, filed their return using the primary taxpayer's Social Security number. You won't be able to fix this rejection; you'll need to file a paper return.
We strongly recommend that you check our resources in this article - What to do if you suspect tax-related identity theft