How do I delete a prior-year Schedule C business that transferred over?
Don't delete your business if it closed sometime in 2016. Instead, report the business and make sure you select I sold (or disposed of) my business in 2016 on the Tell us about your business screen.
Otherwise, follow these instructions to delete a business that transferred over from your 2016 return but is no longer owned by you as of January 1, 2016.
- With your return open, search for this exact phrase: business (schedule c) (include the parentheses) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
- Answer Yes when asked if you had (or want to work on) business income and expenses for 2016.
- That's right – you'll need to answer Yes, even though it doesn't make sense.
- If you're being forced to upgrade to Home & Business or Self-Employed, contact us for further assistance.
- When you get to the Business info or Business Summary screen, click Delete next to the defunct business.
- Answer Yes to confirm the removal of all business-related forms.