Error 40: Failed to download
When checking for updates in TurboTax, the following error message appears:
Failed to download Error 40
The "Further details" section in the error window contains another message, for example:
- The operation timed out
- A connection with the server could not be established
- The server did not return the file size. The URL might point to dynamic...
- The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response
- The server name or address could not be resolved
- The connection with the server was terminated abnormally
- There are currently no active network connections...
- An internal error occurred in the Microsoft Windows HTTP Services
The message may also contain a very long Web address similar to the shortened one below:
Error 40 is a generic download error that can be caused by many different things, including but not limited to
- A slow internet connection (dial-up)
- Interference from a firewall or web accelerator program
- A malfunctioning Windows component Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
Try these workarounds:
- If you receive Error 40 while updating through TurboTax, try downloading and installing a manual update instead.
- Try disabling your web accelerator program if you have one. Web Accelerators (also called dial-up or download accelerators) are programs that speed up the downloading of large files, and are mostly used by dial-up customers.
- Try configuring your firewall to work with TurboTax. Or, temporarily disable your firewall software before downloading your update or state program. (Remember to turn it back on when finished.)