, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
What, exactly, is e-filing?
E-filing (electronic filing) is a paperless, secure alternative to printing and mailing your federal and state tax returns. TurboTax uses industry-standard encryption technology to electronically transmit your returns.
In most cases, e-filed tax returns are processed more quickly than mailed returns; always good news, especially if you're expecting a refund.
E-filing is also "greener" than paper-filing – in addition to saving paper and envelopes, you save gas driving to post office!
More questions and answers about e-filing
- How do I e-file?
- How soon can I e-file?
- What do I need to know about e-filing state returns?
- How many returns can I e-file?
- Can I e-file a prior-year return?
- Can I e-file if I live overseas?
- Can I e-file a decedent tax return?
- Can I e-file an Estates & Trusts (fiduciary) return?
- How do I sign my return?
- Do I need to mail anything after e-filing?
- Can I cancel or "call back" an e-filed return?
- What if I'm having trouble e-filing?
- How do I check my e-file status?
- What if my return is rejected?
- What are this year's filing deadlines?
- Can I get a refund for e-filing fees?