E-file rejection errors F1040A-525-02, F1040-525-02, or F1040EZ-525-02: Date of birth mismatched or missing
How to fix an e-filed return that was rejected with one of these error codes:
- F1040A-525-02: The primary taxpayer's date of birth on your tax return does not match the IRS database.
- F1040-525-02: You did not enter either a Date of Birth or Date of Death for the Primary Taxpayer.
- F1040EZ-525-02: The primary taxpayer's date of birth on your tax return does not match the IRS database.
This rejection occurs when the date of birth or Social Security number for the primary taxpayer (the first person listed on the return) is either incorrect or doesn't match what's on file with the IRS.
Get your Social Security card and then follow these steps to make sure your information was entered correctly:
- Open your return in TurboTax, and then click Personal Info.
- Continue to the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
- Next to the first listed taxpayer, click Edit.
- Make sure the first taxpayer's Social Security Number exactly matches the information on the Social Security card, and that the Birth Date is correct and entered in MM/DD/YYYY format (not the European DD/MM/YYYY format).
- If the information is wrong, correct it.
- Continue until you're back at the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
- If you made any corrections, click Done With Personal Info at the bottom, and then e-file your return again.
Otherwise, if you verified that the information you entered into TurboTax exactly matches the Social Security card, and that the birth date is correct and has been entered in MM/DD/YYYY format, your next step is to call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify that the SSA's records are correct. (The IRS gets their information from the SSA.) Correct SSA records will prevent the same rejection next year.
In the meantime, your best option is to file a paper return, as your return will continue to get rejected until the mismatch is fixed at the SSA, which can take at 4–6 weeks or even longer.