Can I transfer from a PDF into 2016 TurboTax for Windows?
Yes! You can save time and effort by transferring a PDF of last year's return whether you used other tax software last year, or used an accountant or tax service (H&R Block, etc.)
- You can't transfer a PDF from TurboTax Online - However, you can transfer a .tax file from TurboTax online. More info.
Keep in Mind:
- The PDF needs to be your 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ.
- The program accepts PDFs from a range of providers but not all of them.
- After uploading your PDF, you’ll have a chance to update your information from last year’s return.
In certain situations, the program might not accept a PDF, such as when it’s password-protected, a scan of a hard copy rather than an electronic PDF, and certain other cases. If this happens, don’t worry, we’ll guide you through typing in your info.
- Open TurboTax 2016.
- From the File menu, choose New Tax Return.
- Click Start.
- Under the Browse for Your Return section, click Browse.
- Search and select your PDF file, then click Open.
- Click Continue.
- Your information will transfer to TurboTax.
- Save your new tax file to ensure you don't lose any info and continue to follow the on screen instructions.
- TurboTax Online supports PDF transfers, if you used tax software other than TurboTax last year, or you used an accountant or tax service (H&R Block, etc.)
- TurboTax Mobile and TurboTax Business do not support PDF transfers.