, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
The TurboTax CD/Download software allows you to override, or replace, the amounts it calculates. Because overriding is done in Forms Mode, it's not available in TurboTax Online.
Keep in mind that TurboTax is covered by the 100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee, so under normal circumstances you shouldn't need to override anything. In fact, overriding may invalidate the 100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee.
Also, returns that contain overriddes cannot be e-filed.
- Switch to Forms Mode and open the form that contains the line item you want to override.
- Right-click the line item and select Override.
- Enter the value; it will turn red.
- Switch back to the interview by clicking Step-by-Step in the upper right corner.
To cancel the override, follow the same directions except choose Cancel Override in Step 2.
When you run the final review, TurboTax will let you know if there are any overridden values in your return.
- How did TurboTax calculate an amount on a tax form?
- Frequently-Asked Questions About the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee
- Filing a Paper Return by Mail