Error: "We could not e-file your return ... tax payment service is temporarily unavailable"
The following message indicates that you cannot use your credit card at this moment to pay the balance due on your federal and/or state taxes. This can happen if a component of our order system is temporarily down. Below is the message in its entirety:
We could not e-file your return for the following reason:
The service we use to handle your tax payment by credit card, Pay1040.com or OfficialPayments.com, is temporarily unavailable. Please try again in a minute or two.
If it still does not work, you can switch your payment method to either direct debit or check. To switch your payment method in TurboTax, go back to the beginning of the File section and continue to the Review Your Federal Filing Choices screen. Select the edit button to change your payment method.
If you can only pay by credit card, go directly to either:
- www.pay1040.com or call 888-658-5465 to make your payment
- www.officialpayments.com or call 866-382-6819 to make your payment
Make sure you have e-filed your return successfully first by following the instructions above. You will need to choose the pay by check method only.
How to resolve this error
Try e-filing again after a few minutes. If that does not work, try one of these options:
- Pay the balance due using direct debit or check. To do this click the File tab and continue until you reach the screen where you can update your payment method. Then, follow the onscreen instructions to e-file again.
- If you choose to pay by check, you'll need to mail your check and payment voucher. TurboTax will help you print the payment voucher, mailing instructions and any other necessary e-filing paperwork. (See How to E-file for more details.)
- Pay your balance due using your credit card at either Pay1040 or Official Payments. If you choose this option, you will still need to change your payment option for paying your balance due to "Pay By Check". Click the File tab and continue until you reach the screen where you can update your payment method. When you e-file again your return should go through.