Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number
Form SS-4 is used to apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN).
An EIN is a 9-digit number which is assigned to businesses, trusts, and estates to establish a business tax identification with the IRS. It is also used (and recommended by us) when you have a household employee and do not wish to use your Social Security Number (SSN) as the "employer."
To apply for an EIN number in TurboTax, follow these steps to jump directly to the information:
- In the TurboTax search box, enter ein application and press Enter.
- Click on the Jump to EIN application link.
- On the How Would You Like to Apply for an Employer Identification Number screen, choose how you want to apply:
- EIN Online Assistant
- Mail or Fax an application
- By phone (for international applications)
- Click Continue when finished.